[ I'm forwarding with permission a suggestion to change the
  draft's advice on controlled vocabularies.  It seems to me
  that if we redirect the reader, it should be to specific
  document in the series.  Comments?               -John ]

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:06:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Salomon <[log in to unmask]>
To: "John A. Kunze" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: new draft of DC basic elements

Hi again,

3.3. Subject and Keywords               Label: "Subject"

                The use of controlled vocabularies and formal
     classification schemes is encouraged.

This document describes unqualified DC.  Should it encourage the
use of qualifiers without saying that it is moving outside the
scope imposed on it?

I like CV's but this is not the place to discuss them.  If you
must, how about:

The use of controlled vocabularies and formal classification
schemes is encouraged and although out of scope for this
document, will soon be described formally in this series.

-marc