Stu Weibel wrote:

>  Mary's Coverage workgroup paper adopts a strongly cartesian or
> foot-print view of coverage.
>
> I can also imagine it being used in an unqualified free-text mode...
> coverage = Columbus, Ohio

Indeed. The Coverage WP does allow the possibility for inclusion of free
text strings of this type, but would probably be happier with such
strings where they are drawn from a controlled thesaurus such as the
Thesaurus of Geographic Names (TGN), the UK's Ordnance Survey 1:50,000/
1:10,000 gazetteer, etc.

While such terms drawn from a controlled thesaurus are undeniably more
USABLE from a resource discovery point of view, the problem will be in
encouraging people to USE them, rather than just type the name in
themselves, 'cos it's 'obvious' [your red-neck KNOWS he means Columbus,
Ohio, whereas I, searching the world from York, need not necessarily
know which Columbus he means...!].

> very loose semantics, indeed.  Useful?  Probably less so than a more
> strongly-typed version.  Eric mentioned to me that some substantial
> percentage (40%?) of all web searches are for local resources.
> <red-neck-accent>Don't need no bounding box to find a list of all the
> Holiday Inns in Columbus.</red-neck-accent>

Proposal for HTML 5... <red-neck-accent> as an official addition to the
HTML DTD...?  ;-)

--

  == paul miller ================== [log in to unmask] ==
   collections manager, archaeology data service, king's manor