 Mary's Coverage workgroup paper adopts a strongly cartesian or
foot-print view of coverage.

I can also imagine it being used in an unqualified free-text mode...
coverage = Columbus, Ohio

very loose semantics, indeed.  Useful?  Probably less so than a more
strongly-typed version.  Eric mentioned to me that some substantial
percentage (40%?) of all web searches are for local resources.
<red-neck-accent>Don't need no bounding box to find a list of all the
Holiday Inns in Columbus.</red-neck-accent>