Ricky Erway wrote:

> Meta2 gang,
>
> Below are proposed element definition changes from the group working
> on extending the use of the Dublin Core to other types of resources.
> We believe these changes will make the elements less specific to
> allow for other uses, but will not negatively affect previous or
> on-going work.

[snip]

> The date the resource was issued.  Recommended best practice is an
> 8-digit number in the form YYYY-MM-DD as defined in
> http://purl.org/metadata/dc/8601-date-profile, a profile of ISO 8601.
> In this scheme, the date element value, 1994-11-05, corresponds to
> November 5, 1994.  Many other schema are possible, but if used, they
> should be identified in an unambiguous manner.

The six levels of granularity specified in the profile, namely:

   Year:
      YYYY (eg 1997)
   Year and month:
      YYYY-MM (eg 1997-07)
   Complete date:
      YYYY-MM-DD (eg 1997-07-16)
   Complete date plus hours and minutes:
      YYYY-MM-DDThh:mmTZD (eg 1997-07-16T19:20+01:00)
   Complete date plus hours, minutes and seconds:
      YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD (eg 1997-07-16T19:20:30+01:00)
   Complete date plus hours, minutes, seconds and a decimal fraction of a second
      YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.sTZD (eg 1997-07-16T19:20:30.45+01:00)

were included specifically with metadata use in mind.  The coarse ones, eg
YYYY, were requested (on this list) by folks wanting to date things for
which they do not know the fine detail (eg month and day).  The fine ones,
eg YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD, are essential for many types of fast moving
data.  A lot of financial data, for example, loses its relevance and value
after 15 minutes.  In Reuters we have chosen the YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD
granularity for all our DC metadata.

Please could you reword the date definition to allow the other
granularities.  Thanks.

A separate point concerns the URL.  On the whole, I would rather we
referenced the profile on the W3C site, unless people can think of a good
reason why not to do so.

 Misha Wolf            Email: [log in to unmask]     85 Fleet Street
 Standards Manager     Voice: +44 171 542 6722           London EC4P 4AJ
 Reuters Limited       Fax  : +44 171 542 8314           UK
Fifth DC Metadata Workshop, 6-8 Oct 1997, linnea.helsinki.fi/meta/DC5.html

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.