Dave remembers what I remember.  If it were done Misha's way,
systems which could not interpret the qualifier "<role>" would think that
Mr. Illustrator was the name of a contributor.  Sad but true, this
violates the Canberra Qualifiers notion of being able to interpret the
data by dropping the qualifier.

--Robin

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Misha Wolf wrote:

> Dave Beckett wrote:
>
> > I think the reasoning for throwing out the role is that it was a
> > refinement of contributor i.e. a sub-structure so it would be
> >
> > Element: contributor.illustrator
> > Value: Chris Smith
> >
> > and any further qualifiers (Scheme, Language) as appropriate.
> >
> > If the sub-element structure ('minimalist') wanted to look at it, it
> > would be still clear that Chris Smith was a contributor.
>
> When I suggested, at DC4, that "role" is inappropriate as a distinct
> qualifier, I argued that "role" is simply an instance of "type".  Hence:

> and:
>
>    <contributor>
>       <name>Chris Smith</name>
>       <role>Illustrator</role>
>       <affiliation>United Illustrators</affiliation>
>    </contributor>

>  Misha Wolf            Email: [log in to unmask]     85 Fleet Street
>  Standards Manager     Voice: +44 171 542 6722           London EC4P 4AJ
>  Reuters Limited       Fax  : +44 171 542 8314           UK
> Fifth DC Metadata Workshop, 6-8 Oct 1997, linnea.helsinki.fi/meta/DC5.html

> Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
> except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
> Reuters Ltd.

Robin Wendler  ........................     work  (617) 495-3724
Office for Information Systems  .......     fax   (617) 495-0491
Harvard University Library  ...........     [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA, USA 02138  .............