As someone who, even with English as their first language, finds writing clearly
difficult I sympathise with the last set of comments on the 'English debate'. But I
can't help feeling this is a slightly different issue.

The purpose of 'good' grammar and style is that a piece is made as accessible
as is possible within the given subject matter for the reader of that piece. With
that in mind for myself I find it entirely reasonable that referees ask for the style
of a piece to be tidied up (though frustrating when they don't suggest how). This
should not be for the sake of it, or even for facile reasons of 'correct' grammer
but precisely because good writing is accessible writing. Unfortunately this is
something most of us are not good at and doubtless adds to the isolation of the
British academy both from academics elsewhere and from a non-academic
readership - a readership it seems that most rarely (or even care about?)
reaching. But that is another subject ...