Further on the notion of "desire" and its possible interpretations, I would
recommend Geoffrey Galt Harpham's monograph "The Ascetic Imperative in
Culture and Criticism" (U of Chicago, 1987). He deals with Athanasius' Life
of Anthony, Augustine's Confessions, and other works, using the premise
that asceticism is a foundational activity of Christianised culture. In an
extremely abbreviated paraphrase, he makes the point that asceticism, and
its literature, are acts that are not about self-denial, but inherently
about desire itself. Any further compression of his very complex argument
would be quite silly, but I found the book extremely helpful when looking
at such hagiographic works as Cynewulf's Juliana. Regards, Terry