R.A.Ross wrote:

> Is anyone aware of any works cataloguing or even generally discussing
> descriptions of disease in  early (to AD 1000) Christian writing. I am
> particularly interested in descriptions of actual symptoms, although
> I am also planning on constructing a chronological catalogue of
> references to epidemic, warfare and famine. My primary interest is
> demographic and epidemiological, but I am also interested in the rhetorical
> and explanatory roles of disease in religious genres.
> Ron Ross
> Archaeological Research Consultancy of the
> University of Sheffield (ARCUS)

Mary Forman, osb, wrote an article on Syncletica in Vox Benedictina
[10/2 (1993) 199-237] in which she refers to the saint's final sickness:

"According to her biographer, Syncletica lived to the ripe old age of
eighty years without any diminishment of her acuity, but with a
heightened share in bodily suffering. During the last three and a half
years of her life (§106), she suffered from a disease that first started
with a toothache, then developed into infected gums, and finally spread
throughout her mouth and jaw area—likely some form of cancer (§111).
Typical of an age when knowledge of disease processes was very
underdeveloped, this malady was attributed to the devil, a subject
occupying four chapters (§106, 108, 110 and 111). In the last few months
of her suffering, gangrene set in and the odour was so bad that many
could not tolerate being in her room and those who did enter, brought
incense to ward off the stench. The amma refused all external aids,
desiring not to have any of her glorious combat taken away or
alleviated. Finally a doctor was called in who persuaded her to accept
his mixture of aloes, myrrh and the wine of myrtle, with which dead and
decomposing bodies were shrouded. She complied with these ministrations
only out of compassion for her visitors (§111). During the last three
days of her life she experienced visions, by which she knew her hour of
departure was arriving (§113). There is nothing here of the miraculous.
It is only the teaching of this holy woman of God alone that is the
salvific remedy, healing the wounds of others (§107)." (pp. 207-208)

Mary's address is:
Sister Mary Forman, osb
Sacred Heart Monastery
P.O. Box 364