Today, 23 July, is the feast of ...

* Apollinaris, bishop of Ravenna, martyr (date unknown) - only known
martyr of Ravenna

* The Three Wise Men (first century) - for any questions about their cult,
just ask fellow medieval-religion member Francesco Scorza Barcellona!

* Liborius, bishop of Le Mans (fourth century) - he is invoked against
'gravel and allied complaints', apparently following pope Clement XI's
devotion to him

* John Cassian, abbot (c. 433) - he opens his work, *Institutes of the
Monastic Life*, with this declaration: 'I shall make no attempt to relate
anecdotes of miracles and prodigies. For although I have heard of many
unbelievable marvels from my elders and have seen some with my own eyes, I
have wholly omitted them because they contribute nothing but astonishment
to the instruction of the reader in the perfect life.' Cassian may have
been a great abbot, but he would have been a poor listowner.

* Romula and companions, virgins (sixth century) - as Romula died, angelic
music was heard, becoming faint as her soul was being taken away

* Anna or Susanna, virgin (c. 918) - when her tomb -- the site of many
miraculous cures -- was opened, her body was found undecayed and smelling
sweet

* Giovanna da Orvieto, virgin (1306) - a Dominican, known for her many
ecstasies and strange miracles; in one, she confessed to her spiritual
director in Orvieto when in fact he was lying dead in Bologna

Carolyn Muessig