Alfred,

Your comment,

> It is interesting to note that almost all polite
> discussions on the treatment of Jews seem to make the asumption that they
> have been persecuted throughout history through no fault of their own,
> which I find difficult to believe.

-  rests on assumptions which I think are incorrect: first, the one
that you cite, that Jews were persecuted throughout history. Second,
your assumption that this was assumed in every "polite" discussion of
the subject. (In recent years, scholars have done much to qualify the
picture of Jewish history / the history of the Jews, and they are by
no means following a consensus that persecution was the rule.) Hence
follows your incorrect conclusion: that the Jews must somehow bear
(part of) the blame for what happened to them. You seem to imply that
there is something in the 'Jewish character' that offers reason for
their persecution. This is an over-simplification which is, to say
the least, un-scholarly.

Best regards,

Christoph Cluse