I think Teresa Rupp's way of dealing with "misconceptions" is excellent, and
sensitive to the point that nobody has a monopoly on truth.  So-called
"misconceptions" arose for a reason, and the reason is not that people were
stupid.

Could we stop crowing about other people's "misconceptions" on a "we're so
smart and they're so dumb" basis?  Especially in an academic forum, it's more
interesting to untangle the threads to see why people thought as they did.
 Most "misconceptions" served a purpose in their time, and it's often the
purpose which is interesting.

pat sloane