Alas, all I can give you is Nathaniel Hawthorne's Marble Faun - ottocentesco
and romantic and all that. This probably belong to Italian Studies,
especially if it could take Anglo/American/Italian Studies under its wing,
rather than medieval-religion. At any rate, in the Romance, he's a splendid
Pope - because of the attractive tomb.

>At 14.47 07/07/97 +0100, you wrote:
>>>
>>> A very brief pontificate--11 months, as I recall--sandwiched between those
>>> of Boniface VIII and Clement V, and so often forgotten. A Dominican pope,
>>> Benedict XI's very attractive tomb is at San Domenico in the lovely Umbrian
>>> hill-top town of Perugia. Perugia was the home of his pontificate. There
>>> are legends (in the ordinary, not the technical sense) surrounding his
>>> death--e.g. poisoned eels from Lake Trasimeno?
>>>
>>> Is there a modern biography of him?
>>>
>>> Gary Dickson
>>> University of Edinburgh
>>>

>>I, too, would love to know of recent work done on Benedict. I'm trying
>>to contextualize a work addressed to him, and obviously it would help
>>if I could know of the pope's character. The only biographies I've
>>found on Benedict are literally centuries old. So, if anyone knows of
>>twentieth-century scholarship on this figures -- particularly on his
>>academic formation and his general approach to theology and to papal
>>power -- do let me (and us) know.
>>
>>George Ferzoco

____
Julia Bolton Holloway, [log in to unmask]
http://members.aol.com/juliansite/Juliansite.htm

For a soul that seth the Maker of al thyng, all that is made semyth fulle
lytylle