First of all, before I attempt to answer Mary's query, I must confess to
being one of the dormant members of the list since I joined a couple of
months ago, so I should really introduce myself briefly.
 I work on 16th and 17th century Italian religious literature -
specifically the various genres which went to make up `Historia sacra'
including: saints' lives, ecclesiastical histories (local, regional and
universal) and the liturgical service books. My book-length study of the
subject is called LITURGY, SANCTITY AND HISTORY IN TRIDENTINE ITALY:
PIETRO MARIA CAMPI AND THE PRESERVATION OF THE PARTICULAR (Cambridge
UP, Cambridge, 1995). Those interested who have not got the time or
inclination to sample the whole thing might like to read the five-page
summary of it given by D. Fenlon in the April 1997 issue of THE CATHOLIC
HISTORICAL REVIEW under the title: `Rewiring the circuit: Campi's
Reformation'.
As an extension of my interest in how people represent the past to
themselves I am also interested in the area of Public history and heritage
and currently run a project called HERITAGE STUDIES AS APPLIED HISTORY
(www.york.ac.uk/depts/hist/heritage/heritage.htm. There is also an email
discussion group at [log in to unmask]) the
international (and specifically Italian) dimension of which I am keen to
develop.

Returning to Mary's query. The obvious place to start, if you know the
name of the peer and the approximate date/year when this exchange might
have happened is HANSARD - the official verbatim record of parliamentary
debates in both houses. Finding such a passage manually would be like
trying to locate a needle in the proverbial haystack but if it is
available on CD-Rom then the keyword search facility would make things
much simpler. Unfortunately I do not know whether it is available in this
format. So I might have raised your hopes unjustifiably, Mary. Good luck!