Jon Knight wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Simon Cox wrote:
> > In an earlier posting which sank without a trace (I shouldn't
> > have changed the "Subject" field, I guess) I also raised
> > what I think is a related question about mechanisms
> > for doing the translations between DC and other formats.
> > If I am not mistaken, if XML/SGML were used for encoding,
> > then this should be manageable with generic tools using DSSSL?
> > Or am I really chasing herrings up the wrong tree??
>
> Now I'll be the first to admit that I know precious little about DSSSL
> but
> isn't that more to do with style sheets?  A sort of CSS on acid?  I
> can't
> quite stretch my mind around how style sheets interact with resource
> type
> metadata.  Of course if I've misunderstood what DSSSL is, this is a
> great
> time for someone to explain it to the list... :-)

A stylesheet specifies how something stored in a
"neutral" format is represented by a user-agent.
The transformation is determined through an
understanding of how the *meaning* of an object
type can be implied to a user.
The requirements inherent in mapping from one
set of attribute descriptor terms to another
mean that a similar method can be used.

eg - 	<H1>content</H1> 		in HTML
-> 	centred, bold, large font 	in a graphical browser

similarly, we might say
	Sound				as DC.type
-> 	audio				as a MIME type
Dr Simon Cox - Australian Geodynamics Cooperative Research Centre
CSIRO Exploration & Mining, PO Box 437, Nedlands, WA 6009 Australia
T:  +61 8 9389 8421   F:  +61 8 9389 1906   [log in to unmask]
http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/CoxSimon/