On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Diane Madrigal wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Paul Miller wrote:
>
> >We add the ADS are currently most interested in your first option, where
> >all of the values are given in a single string. We would only split them
> >if the values were drawn from more than one SCHEME or TYPE, as each use
> >of
> >an element is only allowed ONE SCHEME and/or TYPE.
>
> I wasn't following this thread too closely until I realized it affected
> other elements besides "coverage." The "Hull, Yorkshire, England, etc."
> example is somewhat comparable to a resource with multiple controlled-
> vocabulary subject headings.
>
> Keywords are generally strung together in one meta tag, as Paul Miller
> suggests doing with geographic values, but in the couple examples I've
> seen using Library of Congress subject headings (LCSH) as the scheme, each
> subject heading has had its own meta tag, e.g.
>
> <META NAME="DC.subject" SCHEME="LCSH" CONTENT="xxx">
> <META NAME="DC.subject" SCHEME="LCSH" CONTENT="yyy">
> <META NAME="DC.subject" SCHEME="LCSH" CONTENT="zzz">
>
> I was about to implement something like the example above because that
> seemed to be what was out there already. But if geographic values will be
> strung together, as long as they're from the same scheme, then it seems
> that all LCSH values should also be strung together (the approach I'd
> prefer, actually).
>
> I haven't yet seen a conclusive answer in the discussion of the
> "coverage" element -- is there anything in DC, as it currently stands,
> that dictates that one format is "right," or at least that one is
> preferred over the other?

There's a difference between assigning multiple subject headings to a document
via separate occurrences of a field and splitting out the component parts of a
precoordinated heading into separate occurrences.  The former is fine.  The latter
will result in a loss of content.

In Paul's example Hull, Yorkshire, England, etc aren't separate values.  They
are really part of the same concept and belong to the same occurrence of the
field - i.e., if this is the best way of building in authority control on
the Web.

Judith Pearce
Acting Manager, ILMS
National Library of Australia           Email:  [log in to unmask]
Canberra ACT                            Phone:  61-6-2621652
2602  AUSTRALIA                         Fax:    61-6-2571703