On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Terry Kuny wrote:

> At 03:01 PM 7/14/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >From:  Peter Graham, Rutgers University Libraries
> >
> >5.  OK, use screed if you like; the category i don't find helpful.  One
> >person's informal is another's document.  A lot of webpages are informal.  If
> >that's what you mean, though, why not call it informal instead of a term open
> >to interpretation when not deemed weirdly obscure.  Or "personal".  Or
> >something that has more semantic value.  But mainly I think the category
> >isn't very well defined; maybe a better term(s) would define it better.
>
> A better term might be used. Perhaps "document.informal" is better.
> I don't like "document.personal" as this seems ambiguous and equally
> problematic, especially since there can be lots of "personal" documents.
> "Informal" seems to suffer the same imprecision.
>
> My thoughts in using "screed" was to grab a category of documents that really
> are often personal pages, informal and discursive. The key is an informal
> piece
> of writing which has not got the focus or intent of an article. "Screed"
> has the advantage of being an actual noun which describes an kind of
> informal or fragmentary document.

According to the OED, 2nd ed., the relevant definition of "screed" is

 "A long roll or list; a lengthy discourse or harangue; a gossiping letter
or piece of writing."

Certainly in the U.S. there is a pejorative connotation, which is hinted
at by the appearance of "harangue" in the OED definition.  I'm with
Peter -- value judgements about the relative seriousness of a
document strike me as problematic, but if others need them, I
would suggest another term.  "Screed" is both too diffuse
(see that definition above -- is it a list or a letter?) and
too freighted to be a useful term.

But I am certainly enjoying looking the wordplay...  Lead on!

--Robin

Robin Wendler  ........................     work  (617) 495-3724
Office for Information Systems  .......     fax   (617) 495-0491
Harvard University Library  ...........     [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA, USA 02138  .............