Conspicuoulsly absent (to my recollection) from this discussion has been
R. I. Moore's _Formation of a Persecuting Society_, I wonder why?  Do
members not like it?  His thesis, to oversimplify, is that in the early
middle ages theres is nothing like widespread abuse of Jews, in fact
Jews and Christians got along w/out incident, that it was only in the 13th
c. that persecution of the Jews becomes endemic in western Europe.  Along
with this cam harsher treatment for lepers, gays, and women as well.  Why?
Because in the 13th c. The Church was trying to define more precisely the
body of believers, who was in and who was out and so, inadvertantly, singled
out certain groups as targets for ostricization and persecution.  I should
add that he does not see the church as alone in this process, that the Church
is one of many political communities trying to centralize their authority
by defining their members more precisely (so, too, France, HRE, England, etc
all see increased perseuctions).
I have some serious reservations about the book, but I find it a useful
model, does anyone have an opinion or could improve my rough summary?

Louis

Louis Hamilton
Fordham University