Part of this material might include the legendary accounts of the vision of
the Virgin to Augustus at Ara Coeli in Rome. The Byzantine Madonna and
Christ show her in imperial garb, him in a Roman toga, though only a child.
It could help to look at the texts generated about Constantine and Helena as
well.

At 11.50 19/06/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I'm presently at work on King Alfred's version of Orosius' Seven Books,
>specifically a passage in VI, xxiii, which describes Christ as a Roman
>citizen. Orosius explains that Christ chose to have Himself counted in
>Augustus' census, and thus as a Roman. Alfred entirely excises the
>passage. Thereby hangs my tale.  But, I have come across only one
>article which discusses Christ's Roman citizenship, and that is Adolf
>Lippold, "Orosius, christlicher Apologet und Römisher Bürger,"
>Philologus 113 (1969): 92-105. I have searched to no avail for more.
>
>Is anyone aware of work available on the theological implications of
>Christ's citizenship? I would very much appreciate any help.
>
>Stephen Harris

____
Julia Bolton Holloway, Hermit of the Holy Family,
via del Partigiano 16, Montebeni, 50014 FIESOLE, ITALY,
http://members.aol.com/juliansite/Juliansite.htm

Gregory on Benedict: 'quia animae videnti Creatorem angusta est omnis creatura'.
Julian of Norwich: 'For a soul that seth the Maker of al thyng, all that is
made semyth fulle lytylle'.