Today, 5 May, is the feast of ...

* Hilary, bishop of Arles (449) - So great were his anxiety to ransom
captives that he sold almost all of his liturgical items to obtain money,
contenting himself with a chalice and paten of glass.

* Mauruntius, abbot (701) - Abbot of the abbey of Breuil located in the
diocese of Therouanne.

* Avertinus, Gilbertine canon (c. 1180) - Allegedly accompanied Thomas
Becket to the Synod of Tours (1163). After the martyrdom of Becket, he
settled in Touraine where he dedicated himself to the service of the poor
and strangers. He was invoked against dizziness and headaches.

* Angelo, martyr (1220) - Paul Chandler we need your sage insights once
again to enlighten us about this Carmelite saint. (If you are in
Kalamazoo, we will patiently await your return for your learned reply!)

* Jutta, widow (1260) - She once said that three things could bring one
very near to God - painful illness, exile from home in a remote corner of
a foreign land, and poverty voluntarily assumed for God's sake.

Carolyn Muessig