>>One problem, though, surprised me, and I had some difficulty attempting to
>overcome it:  They displayed a remarkable tendency to read the Hebrew
>Bible as if it were a preface to the New Testament.  I found myself
>confronted with remarks like "Well, Jesus said about this. . ." or "This
>changes in the New Testament."  While I appreciated their enthusiasm, it
>became a near-daily task for me to explain to them that the texts we were
>exploring were not written with the intent of explaining Christianity;
>they had trouble understanding that Christianity did not yet exist (one
>kid even wrote about "Christian converts" in _Genesis_!).
>
>Have other people encountered similar problems in teaching the Bible?  How
>do you address it?
>
>Beth Crachiolo
>University of Iowa

I have encountered exactly the same attitude in my Early Civilization class.
Each year on the first exam, I have "Moses" or "Abraham" in the
identification section, and each year someone tells me that one or the other
was the founder of the Catholic Church/the first Christian, etc.  I try to
give a caveat on this issue in my lectures on ancient Israel and during our
discussions, and yet the problem never goes away. Though this is a
specifically religious question, I think the problem is related to the
difficulty that my students have in reading history without immediately
relating it to something they already know about.  I am all for drawing
connections between the past and the present, but I find it a constant
struggle to get my students to understand history in as much of the terms of
the past as is possible (for us here in Oshkosh).

So you have my sympathy, Beth.  I too would be interested in any ideas
people have come up with for this issue.

Kim Rivers
Kimberly Rivers 	Department of History
Assistant Professor	University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh