In case you haven't heard, Dai Morris and the other people of Holtsfield
(Swansea) have been successful in disputing the landownder's claim that
their chalet/homes should be classed as "heavy garden ornaments" which
could therefore be demolished by the landowner. (see Keith Halfacree's
c-g-f posting a while ago). The Law Lords, bless them, recognised this for
the utter rubbish that it is. The landowner - Elitestone (owned by Mr Tim
Jones, solicitor) - now owns the land AND the chalets. The residents seem
to be safe, albeit at the cost of being tenants of a somewhat aggressive
landlord.

I find it depressing that we have a property rights institution that could
allow someone to buy a plot of land that has been peacefully liven on since
the 1930s with the deliberate intention of clearing the people off the land
and 'developing' it. Plenty of historical precedents, of course: the
Highland clearances, MOD training ground acquisition in war time,
state-supported reservoir construction in Wales, etc.

Anyway, the legal system has eventually provided protection for the
residents, but I suspect that they will have to be continually vigilant.

Anyway, that's got something off my chest.

ps. Maybe our new "ethical" government might reflect on the broader
property rights issues.

Christopher Ray