Colleagues,

This is a 'public service announcement' rather than a commercial plug; or
else I would have cleared it with George, or risk getting my knuckles
rapped. Indeed, not only do I have no commerical interest in the firm of
book-dealers I shall mention, it is contrary to my own interest as an
acquisitive book-buyer to share this treasure-trove of medievalia with
others. What persuades me to do so, however, is the thought of non-British
medievalists who come to Oxford, expecting to purchase good, used scholarly
books, and who leave rather disappointed, because the stock of used books
on medieval subjects is not what it once was (unless I've missed some
terrific bookstores, which is possible: if so, please enlighten me).

I had finished a series of eight lectures at Oxford; and to relax, I wanted
to browse shelf after shelf of medieval items. So I telephoned Mr. E.P.
Bennett (son of a distinguished medievalist) of Bennett and Kerr Books
(01235-820604) and made arrangements to visit his shop (Millhill Warehouse,
Church Road, Steventon) which is outside Steventon, which is outside
Abingdon, which is outside of Oxford. The bus ride was about 30 minutes;
the pleasant hike to the farmyard where the shop is located would have
taken about 10-15 minutes (except that we happened to get a lift up the
hill).

I browsed to my heart's content; purchased four titles; and thoroughly
enjoyed my book-buying experience.

End of 'public service announcement', except to say that intending visitors
should always telephone in advance.

Gary Dickson
University of Edinburgh