Maeve,

I based my conclusion that Eve and Herve lived in separate cells on
Geoffrey's praise for their way of life and his condemnation of
Robert's clearly syneisatistic way of life with his followers. It
would have created incredible scandal if they had shared a cell --
and if they had shared a cell and remained celibate, we would have
been told about this great miracle by Geoffrey, Hilary, or somebody.

On Roger seeing Christina only once, I am dependant on Fr Jean; you
suggest that "it is improbable that Roger avoided looking at her (or
Christina at him) in the intimate interaction described by the
author, and, if he did, the author would most likely mention it as
further testament to his discipline." Assuming they had separate,
adjoining, cells with a communicationg window, I believe that that
window would have been heavily grilled, as at Fontevrault,
Sempringham, and many pre-Vatican II nunneries, which would allow
Roger to speak with, but not see, Christina (and Herve, Eve).

I agree with you that Eve and Hervey's relationship, and Christina's
with Roger, are good examples of medieval syneisaktism. For some
others, see Jaqueline Smith's "Procurator mulierum" in Rosalind
Hill's festschrift. Dominique Iogna-Prat (sp?) has written about this
as well; I don't have the exact reference to hand, but it is cited by
Smith (and I have a copy at home which I could send you if -- like us -
- your ILL allowance is rationed like wartime petrol...).

tot straks,

 JON PORTER
Department of History
University of Nottingham