Note: the last posting held the incorrect URL. Below is the correct URL.

The Coverage Element working draft is available for you to read at:
http://www.alexandria.ucsb.edu/public-documents/metadata/dc_coverage.html

The members of the group who began working on this soon after DC4 are:
hans Becker; Arthur Chapman; Andrew Daviel; karen Kaye; Mary Larsgaard
(co-chair); Paul Miller; Doug Nebert (co-chair); Andrew Prout; Misha Wolf.
Special thanks to Jennifer Trant for some art-world examples; Jennifer, please
recommend others as appropriate.  We would appreciate receiving examples of
applications of the Coverage element for Internet resources in the field of
medicine.

Following are some discussion points that have been brought up in the group:
a. There is some feeling that Coverage should be used only for what might be
termed non-fiction works - for example, a scanned map of Montana - and not for
such works as a novel that takes place in Montana. It would be difficult to
explain this difference to Webpage users, and I suggest we keep Coverage for any
sort of spatial or temporal coverage, rather than say, sometimes it's Coverage
and sometimes it's Subject or Keyword.
Or, to put it another way, that Coverage be used only for certain aspects.  For
example - a ceramic pot; should Coverage - Spatil refer to where the pot were
made, or where it were found?  I suggest that since it is a repeatable field,
one may have a Coverage field for each of these.
b. There is a viewpoint that Coverage is a type of Subject or Keyword and should
be subsumed under that element.  This is a topic that catalogers in libraries
have been arguing about for years - that is, whether geographic area is a
subject or not.  It is included in subject headings; but it is dealt with as a
separate type of heading from thematic headings. For example, in USMARC,
thematic terms (e.g., Geology; Anthrpology; etc.), geographic terms, and
chronologic terms are each given different field codes; these are usually $x for
thematic, $z for geographic, and $y for chronologic headings.

The References area needs some work done on it; I decided it was best to wait
until we had a complete list of references needed, and then to get it into
shape.

Over to you all for comment.

Mary Larsgaard
Alexandria Digital Library/Davidson Library
University of California
Santa Barbara CA
USA