On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, John C Klensin wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Apr 1997 14:39:05 -0700 Dave Crocker
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > 	Anyhow, I don't think there's a problem with the mime model merely,
> > as you say, a need to be clear about how it works.  And how it works is
> > that dispatching to a content-knowledgeable application is done by MIME
> > content type/subtype and not by use of parameters.
>
> But that is an artifact of popular implementations, not a
> consequence of the specification.  Unless I've missed
> something in my most recent reading, it doesn't say a word
> about what is used for dispatching and what isn't.   And I
> guess that is the point I was trying to make.

Here is just some practical example of where and how parameters
are actually used to select an application. It is the simple
task of displaying plaintext mail. The parameter is the "charset"
parameter indicating the character encoding. On a UNIX/X11 system,
to display something with
	text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
you might call a terminal emulator with something like
	xterm -fn *-*-*....*-iso-8859-1 -e more $?
and likewise for many other values of "charset", but where
in some cases, you have to map from the "charset" parameter
to the glyph encoding part of the font name. However, for
Japanese, which comes in as
	text/plain; charset=iso-2022-jp
you would have to use something like
	kterm -e more $?
for Chinese, you would have to use cxterm, hanterm for Korean,
and other xterm extensions for e.g. Arabic or Hebrew. Of course,
there might be a terminal emulator that can display all kinds
of scripts just by using some parameter settings, but that's not
how things are working currently.

Regards,	Martin.