Here is a side issue to this, but I have not had  a chance to let
it off for about 35 years...

I remember reading at Oxford, I *think* in Klaeber's Beowulf, or
Wrenn's - which I no longer have - that there is / are occasional
uses of * onsendan * in ON in a sense which is clearly sacrificial
(parralel, MnE *despatch* ?).

Does anyone else (with a suspicious mind like mine) detect the
possibility of a (semantic) link with the Chrn Lat use of *mitto*
in the same sense, or context, viz as an explanation why the Latin
Mass from quite early times (O Morhmann, ut iam vives!) announced
the completion of the (sacrifice) with *Ite, MISSA est*

Felix inter columbas forte posui...

Anselm Cramer OSB