Yes, I know it's time to move on but....... did those of you in the
UK see the story in *The Observer* about industry-funded US academics
(one of them named as Robert Balling "an urban geographer") working
on climate change?  Seems their research is funded by the "fossil
fuel lobby", including Shell, Exxon, Texaco and Ford.

I especially enjoyed the following, quoting our Secretary of State for
the Environment, John Gummer: "Attacking the sceptics' links with
industry, Mr Gummer says `I would be more convinced of their
independence if it weren't that they were being paid for by the
financial interests which profit if we don't take notice of global
change of climate'.  He warns that lobbyists and their scientist
allies `make respectable some of the wishes of the politicians to
avoid difficult issues'"

Sounds familiar?

The issue is featured in `Battle for the Planet' BBC2, Monday 10th
March at 7.30.

Pyrs

DR PYRS GRUFFUDD
Yr Adran Ddaearyddiaeth                        Department of Geography
Prifysgol Cymru Abertawe                   University of Wales Swansea
Parc Singleton                                          Singleton Park
Abertawe  SA2 8PP                                     Swansea  SA2 8PP
Cymru                                                            Wales

Ffon/Tel    01792 295146                      Ffacs/Fax   01792 295955