BUT

   People would cotton on pretty quickly...

   I never choked on the sixpences my mother put in Christmas
     pudding

BUT (2)

   I do agree, you have a point about hagiography. It is well
illustrated in the Life Of Anthony (Athanasius), where it is
established that A. was an absolute pioneer, the first, etc to lead
the solitary life (because he is  a *type* ). Yet one of the
essential things aboput a monachos (even if it did originally mean
celibate ) is that you first sit at the feet of an Abba, and that
for some time, while he produces an occasional Word. So Anthony did
just that, to fulfil the norm (>> that the scriptures might be
fulfilled<<), there being a suitable holy man already installed at a
convenient distance.

In hagiography you are allowed to have your cake and eat it
(without choking)

Anselm Cramer OSB
monachos