Subject: Re: Java
From:    Brian Kelly <[log in to unmask]> at internet-gateway
Date:    24/3/97  9:37 AM

Hi George

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, George Pitcher wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Yesterday morning, I had breakfast on foreign soil. The guy sitting at the
next
> table and I got talking. I was at an internet security conference and he was
on
> holiday from his job at Sun (in California) teaching employees how to use
Java.

> He said two things which to me were fundamental.
>
> 1. Java is a security nightmare - it's full of holes.
>
> 2. Java is a method waiting for an application.

What if he had said:

  1.  The Internet is a security nightmare - it's full of holes.
  2.  The Web is a method waiting for an application

Would this stop you developing Internet services?   The Internet can be
regarded as a security nightmare - I can send you an attached Word
document to this mail message which contains an autostart macro which
deletes your files.  Does this mean you don't use email?

Many of the Java applications developed initially were of no real
interest.  However we are now seeing the development of Java rapid
application development kits, so we're beginning to see real applications
being written in Java - at a UCISA seminar on Java, ActiveX and NC held at
Loughborough recently there was a demonstration of a student registration
/ course module system that had been written in Java.

There is interest in Java because of the role it plays in NCs (network
computers).  Sun have mentioned unamed universities which have placed
large orders for NCs.

Brian

Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
Email:  [log in to unmask]     URL:    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
Phone:  01225 323943            FAX:   01225 826838