On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Today, 5 February, is the feast of ...

Dear George,  How uncommonly busy you have been today!  The wonderful
list has, however, elicited a couple of queries from me.

 > * Agatha, virgin and martyr (date unknown)
> - a great Sicilian beauty who refused the advances of a
> consul, who retaliated by ordering that her breasts be
> removed; after a vision in which St Peter restored her to a
> perfect condition, she was then rolled over hot coals
> - co-patron of medieval-religion

I remember adopting Gabriel as our patron but I don't remember any
discussion of Agatha.  Is it out of line to ask about her qualifications
for this important task?  Does she guard us against flaming?

> > * Fuscina or Fuscinula (sixth century)
> - sister of St Avitus, she lived in the monastery of Sts
> Gervase and Protasius near Vienne; there, she was warned in a
> vision by Christ the Judge that if she were not careful, she
> would be attacked and raped, and thus lose her soul; although
> she was attacked, nothing else untoward happened

This one really struck me!  Seriously, why would being raped cause her to
lose her soul?  Have you got a source for this story?

> * Adelaide of Bellich, virgin (1015)
> - as abbess of St Mary's in Cologne, she insisted her nuns
> be proficient in Latin

With all due respect, I think this is Adelaide of Villich.

Jo Ann McNamara