Dear George,

I know of no modern study on the stereotypes you mention, but a couple of fruitful
areas would be: (1) the `commedia dell'arte' tradition, in which the stock characters
were various local stereotypes (eg. Venetian, Bergamask, Neapolitan etc.). And
comedy generally would be an interesting first port of call for literary stereotypes;
(2) a much more limited field is supplied by the stereotypes used by combattants in
the `Questione della lingua'. From Dante down to Beni (and probably later) there
were some very quaint stereotypes about regional speech and language.