>> If you are not at ease with ISO 10646/Unicode, maybe somebody can provide
>> a list of OSes and Internet protocols that have adopted it.
>
>This is the sad thing; I _do_ like the idea of ISO10646 as a default
>charset.  We're probably violently agreeing in reality.  It would be
>groovy if everything used it and all hosts could allow Unicode characters
>to be input and output easily.  What I _don't_ like in the context of out
>current discussion about Dublin Core is a default charset of "none" or
>"unknown", which is what started all this.

Why don't we just make ISO 10646 the standard coded character set, and
choose  a suitable default encoding (UTF-8 probably)? This is where
everything else is going, and with good reason.

Martin, Francois, Lee, myself, and many others have had these
discussions about encodings and coded character sets ad nauseum. In
general, the above turns out to be the best solution, if not always
the perfect one. Over the last 2-3 years, the level of support for
UNICODE has grown rapidly, so many of the original arguments about
lack of tools and whatnot have less weight now than before.