>Because if the answer to more than one of these is "no", I think it's time to
>review the original decision to put more than simple unstructured strings into
>the meta tags of HTML. If we want to this job properly, let's use tools that
>exist, and a mechanism that works. Let's use SGML or XML to define the
>structure of our metadata packages, and the Warwick framework to embed those
>packages. And chalk the last few month's discussion up to experience!

I have long thought that <META> wasn;t a good place to put meta-data.
I would by far prefer to see meta-data specified outside the document
using SGML/XML or some DTD, and then link to it. Something like:

  <META LINK="http://foo.com/meta.xml">

The only other alternative is to do something akin to the HTML
tags used for embedding:

  <META>
	<PROPERTY NAME="FOO">
		<PARAM NAME="bar" VALUE="BAZ">
        </PROPERTY>
  </META>

---
I must apologise, as I've just joined the list and really haven't
had time to review the available material yet....