On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Thomas Izbicki wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jan 1997 [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 00:37:17 +0000 (GMT)
> > From: [log in to unmask]
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: FEAST 8 January
> >
> > Today, 8 January, is the feast of ...
> >
> > * Erhard (686?)
> > - was *chorepiscopus* (what is that?) of Ratisbon; his
> > episcopal staff of black buffalo-horn (?) is still preserved
> > (ah, but what about his comb?)
>
> There is an article on Chorbishop in the New Catholic Encyclopedia,
> according to which:  They have long history inthe Eastern churches as
> bishops who cared for the people in the countryside.  Their relationship
> with the urban bishops could be contentious.  The office has disappeared
> in the Orthodox Churches, but not in certain of the other eastern
> churches.
>
> The use of chorbishops as auxiliaries who did pastoral care while the
> bishop was absent was controversial in the West in Carolinlingian times,
> but the institution declined in the 10th & 11th centuries - vanishing in
> the 12th.
>
> tom izbicki

I must have missed this in my haste. Tom is correct that they helped the
bishop and that there was considerable hostility to them is the western
church, particularly in the Carolingian era. The Ps. Is. Decretals stands
out in this respect-- but so do many Carolingian synods (even ancient
councils!) as a perusal of Wilfried Hartmann, Die Synoden der
Karolingerzeit in Frankenreich und in Italien (Konziliengeschichte Reihe
A; Paderborn, 1989), pp. 61, 154, 183, 190, 211, 229, 260, 365, 417f, and
429f indicates. The office was still active in Eastern and Western
Aquitaine in the late-10th century. Chorbishop Beloit of Limoges, for
example, was killed by Count Helie of Perigord in 976-- an event that was
prob. the inspiration for canon 3 of Charroux against the killing of
unarmed clergy. That the canon went to such great lengths to define
"armed" and "unarmed" and then to clarify the jurisdictional bounderies
governing the criminal activities of the clergy (they were to be tried in
episcopal courts first before being turned over to lay authorities)
indicates that Benoit may not have been the innocent victim clerical and
religious circles liked to portray him as being. I have not found any
mention of the office for the 11th century.

Michael F. Hynes