On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, theresa wrote:

> Hi!  I've been lurking on this list for a few weeks now and it's nice to
> be on a list that is actually active!  I am a soon-to-be-graduating
> undergrad in history at the University of Houston and hope to work on
> church history in grad school.
>
> To the question....  I was glancing through Tellenbach's _The CHurch in
> Western Europe from the tenth to early twelfth century_ for information
> on the Peace/Truce of God.  I came upon a cite concerning popular support
> for the movement that I am interested in finding.  It was only given as
> Mackinney "The People and Public Opinion" and, try as I might, I couldn't
> find any previous mention of this article, nor is it in the back.  Does
> anyone have the citation or even what journal it would be in?  Or, could
> anyone point me to other good sources on the peace of God, its origins
> and who supported/opposed it?
>
> Thanks a mil,
> Theresa Vaughn

Loren C. Mackinney, "The People and Public Opinion in the Eleventh-Century
Peace Moveement," Speculum V, 1930, pp. 181-206. Be forwarned, Mackinney's
article is filled w/anachronisms (Mackinney had a lot more axes to grind
than understanding the peace.). For a range of views on the peace (alas
w/o my own well-considered ones), see The Peace of God. Social Violence
and Religious Response in France Around the Year 1000, ed. Thomas Head and
Richard Landes (Ithaca),1992)-- beware of some of the trans. of documents
in the appendix.  See also Historical Reflectionw/Reflexions
historiques XIV.3, 1987-- upon which much of the above vol. was based:
interesting to see how some of the original contributions were
changed/evolved and also because Bernard Bacharach's fine article was not
included in the above vol. I would also recommend that you look at past
contributions to Mediev-l for postings mainly by Richard Landes and
myself. If you are really serious about working on the peace, then German
is a must. The basic starting point remains Harmut Hoffmann, Gottesfriede
und Treuga Dei (Schriften der MGH 20; Stuttgart, 1964). Useful for biblio.
is Hans-Werner Goetz Kirchenschutz, "Rechtswahrung und Reform: Zu den
Zielen und zem Charakter der fruhen Gottesfriedensbewegung," Francia XI,
1983, pp. 193-239.  The works of Bonneaud-Delmare (all in French), while
dated, remain useful as well-- you can find the refs. in Goetz. Landes
has contributed much on the peace (see his recent book on Ademar of
Chabannes); I think that I will have a lot of importance to say on this
topic in my diss. (due to be finished shortly). So far my official public
record has been limited to a talk given at the Fench Historical Conference
last Spring in Bosston-- if interested, I'll send you a copy. Anyway I
hope this helps and good luck in your work.

Michael F. Hynes