Dear Jenny

I am devastated to hear that this proposal is in the pipeline once more; I
presume it has come from something to do with the Government and
(hopefully) not something which has appeared from teachers. I was under the
impression that most of us in education wanted to keep the two pathways
distinct and separate, given the problems that would ensue when merging the
two.

I feel most strongly that the academic route to Business should be
maintained and that it does provide (for over 30,000 A level candidates) an
opportunity to appreciate the rigours of numerical and qualitative analysis
with an opportunity to look closely at relevant examples form the real
world. Many teachers with whom I have spoken are very keen to see the A
level maintained;  only a glance at some of the recent A level papers
should convince the decision-making body that the academic demands placed
upon candidates are worthy of being maintained. It  provides (because it
was originally intended to provide) a useful insight into the
decision-making processes of the modern commercial world combined with the
necessary academic content for A level.

Please keep me informed. I am keen to hear exactly who is involved in
merging the two pathways into one.

Yours, concerned,

Michael.