> From:           Daron Burrows <[log in to unmask]>
> To:             medieval-religion <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:        Question: Castration as punishment?
> Date sent:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:44:54 -0000
> Send reply to:  [log in to unmask]

> I have a question which has arisen during the course of my research, in
> answer to which I would appreciate any information, leads or opinions.
> Is anybody aware of any legal documents which prescribe, or even historical
> records which describe castration as a suitable punishment for sexual
> crimes or indiscretions - especially on the part of the secular clergy? My
> particular interest would be regarding anything which could have influenced
> popular opinions in 12th/13th-century Northern France; I have numerous
> literary descriptions of the fact, and am wondering whether there is
> something more than just a sense of poetic justice which has inspired the
> authors.
>
> With thanks in advance for your attention,
>
> DARON
>
> Daron Burrows, Trinity College, Oxford.

Dear Daron,

I have a vague recollection that this subject is dealt with in J.A.
Brundage, Law, Sex, and Christian Society in Medieval Europe.
Chicago 1987. However, I can not remember what and where exactly in
that book nor have I it now in my shelf.

Jussi Hanska
University of Tampere
Finland

P.S. Somehow I can not see anything poetic in castration, nor for
that matter justice.