Dear Jane,
Four of my students and some colleagues have been using such software,since
1995. All of these students suffered from joint and/or tendon pain and were
funded by their LEA's without problems. There should be no question
whatsoever of your student being denied a request for a PC and voice
activated software. As you can imagine, packages like DragonDictate for
Windows version one were extremely expensive in 1995. The "Classic" edition
cost £695 with £395 being a typical charge for one day of training! there
is therefore a great deal of precedent which should allow you to push for
funding fairly aggressively.

As an R.S.I. sufferer (since 1992) and user of voice activated software
since 1994 I personally know how essential this type of equipment can be.
Please feel free to contact me directly for the names of the LEAs involved,
should you need further support re precedence.

At 03:22 PM 12/3/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I have a student with chronic and severe tendonitis in both wrists- her
>LEA has just
>turned down a request for a computer and voice-activated software from her
>DSA saying it was too expensive. (It was well within the equipment
>allowance). Has anyone else managed to get similar equipment for someone
>in a similar position?
>
>Jane McLarty
>Adviser for students and staff with a disability
>University of Cambridge
>Bridget's, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QF
>Tel: 01223 332301
>Fax: 01223 461324

Welfare & Information Officer, King's College London, Macadam Bldng,
London WC2R 2LS Tel: 0171 873 2530   Fax: 0171 873 2754
Produced using voice activated software; apologies for uncorrected errors.