Microsoft Rules OK! ---NOT!

As from 1st November 1997 Microsoft Educational Products can only be sold by authorised Educational Resellers. OK so far. We will be an Authorised Reseller. Looks good!

BUT

Educational Software (CD plus manuals) may only be sold by an Authorised Reseller to Local Authorities, Colleges, Universities etc NOT to individual students. Now l'm sure you all know that the DSA is for an individual not an organisation.

What the student can have is a Student Licence and the following are the draw backs to this.

1.	The student never owns the software.

2.	It take up to 4 weeks to get the software once you have received the Licence Pack (which we supply)

3.	The Licence pack requires a form to be filled in, a signature from the learning establishment and the organisational ability to complete this process. And what are the main difficulties with dyslexia? Yes I thought you'd spot that one.

We are currently having a shouting match with Microsoft to see if they can understand the facts of life.
(Finding someone who cares is the first un-resolved problem!)

The positive side is that the Licence cost a lot less; but what is the point of saving money if the student is unable to get the programme or only able to get it with difficulty?

Anyone else want to join in the shouting and/or detection of a Microsoft person who cares?

LOOPHOLE

There seems to be one!!

If we invoice the local authority, educational establishment etc our paperwork will be adequate to satisfy the requirements of Microsoft. SO the students who are luck enough to have a local authority who have the sense to order direct from us (on their behalf, of course), save on paperwork, time and money will be able to obtain the products hassle free. Those who are sadly attached to local authorities who hand out large cheques to student, administrate the return of receipts and instigate investigations when things don't tie up, will, unfortunately, have to wait for their programmes after filling in forms, getting signature and organising the whole thing.

Maybe talking to Local Authority managers is easier than finding someone who cares in Microsoft!

Peter Childs
Student Support Manager
Hi-Grade, Southampton