Jean

Thanks for Graham's address. I wrote him a note and had a long conversation
yesterday. I find his argument convincing although very much against the
conventional wisdom: basically there are fewer ambiguities and confusibles
in upper case than lower. So where people are decoding letter by letter
rather than word by word, capitals are easier, and word shape is
irrelevant. He also argues that counter shape (by which I think he means
the enclosed shapes) are very important for disambiguation (which similarly
goes against the longer ascenders and descenders argument of Sassoon).

The problem with his approach, to my mind, is the unacceptability, for
public consumption, of caps, even small caps. I'm trying to persuade him to
look, also, at modifications to the ordinary l/c alphabet to remove the
ambiguities/confusions, so that he has a two-prong solution.

Don't the virtues of Sassoon mostly apply to the flash-card,
word-as-a-whole-recognition school of teaching reading, rather than the
analytical, phonic based school of the dyslexia world?

Graham has just finished his Masters (I think he said he got a
distinction!) and is trying to get funding to finish designing a font. But
he doesn't really want to spend another 3 years doing a PhD. (and I
wouldn't want to wait 3 years for the results. . .). Do you have any ideas
for charitable/research money that would enable him to finish? I think what
he is doing is potentially very valuable, and am keen to help.

I'm copying this to dis-forum a) because of the interest in fonts and b) in
case anybody from academia has any ideas on funding.

Regards
Ian Litterick

You wrote:
I had an enquiry from a researcher into fonts for dyslexic adults.
I will send Ian Litterick the name and address.
He found that they liked sans serif fonts and unjustified lines
which both make sense - but wait for it:
he found that they read capitals more easily than lower-case or
mixed case, and is designing a font using all capitals, but with
capital capitals bigger than those used for the rest of the word.

This goes against all our received wisdom about ascenders
and descenders making words distinctive. Road signs are
now in mixed case. Comics are in mixed case. I was always
surprised that dyslexic children could read words in capitals.
Many dyslexic adults write in capitals, some because they
have been told to by employers etc. because it is easier to
for the employers to read; some because they do not know
how to join lower-case letters.