> What are the implications for final degree assessment when a student
> presents with Dyslexia very close to the end of the course?
> We have a Year 3 student who has just undergone assessment and been granted
> special exam arrangements and is receiving help from the Dyslexia Support
> Tutor just before her final assessment period. She already has two
> semester's worth of marks which will count towards her final classification
> which might have been much better if she had received the special provision.
> Clearly, she may wish to appeal that her marks would have been better
> if........

I understand that Final Boards for any undergraduate programme can make
adjustments as they see fit to a final classification. I suspect that
this student comes within a small group that we have experience of. This
consists of students who are dyslexic and who arrive at University with
their strategies in place and progress through the early parts/years of
their programme. It is when they feel the pressures of the final
year/parts of their programme that their strategies start to fail and
they seek help. In cases such as these we have felt quite justified in
bringing their case to the final degree awarding board and, especially
where students are borderline between two classificatons, have argued
their case. Boards are, we have found, very sympathetic to this
argument. We have also found that the case is given added weight where
the person involved in supporting the student and the head of the
programme attend the boards.

Martin Fletcher
--
º
De Montfort University	:	Tel:			+44 (0) 1234 793210

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is
serious.
        Brendan Gill