Re: Staff with Disabilities Patrick

I suspect that your colleague needs to argue much more strongly, on the back of the DDA, for his or her rights. It seems to me that the employer, under the sections that describe duty to make reasonable adjustments and that embrace the notion of less favourable treatment, is, most certainly responsible for such an item of equipment. This is so especially in the light of the withdrawal of of financial support by the PACT teams that work for the DfEE.

Section 6 (3) od the DDA provides examples of reasonable adjustment:

One thing that this does seem to create is a sense that the point where a disabled person found themselves excluded from working effectively by the institution is now a different one to before. Given that the Act states the above list (and I have no idea how far the journey is for your colleague) some form of assisted transport would seem well worth discussing. Someone to provide support during the journey or funding to assist someone providing a lift or whatever.the argument I would use is that i am more use at work than working at home. However, if a greater percentage of home-based working is thought to be appropriate by your employee then certainly provison of a machine/ISDN line/costs of line and calls would seem to be the employer's responsibility.