Some personal experiences (I have a Scooter - Rascal) -
1. Very difficult negotiating aisles in stores
2. Do not fit in many elevators so access is definitely limited
3. As a handicapped person:  Cannot take the scooter apart to put in car.
   As a result had to purchase a used van.
   Purchased a power hoist so I could lift scooter up and put inside van
   Found that there is no way I can prop me up while I use hand control
with one hand and try to guide scooter into van with the other.
   Now am looking into an outside rear lift that I can ride scooter on
and then raise the lift so scooter stays behind the van.  Had friend who
had one like this get hit by another car.  Also in winter must take
batteries off (which are very heavy) and place them inside car as they
will not work if cold.  Again this is hard for a person like me who uses
two canes.
   Also I do not have a ramp to my home so scooter is kept in car.
However again I must get the two batteries into the house.

Needs: Lighter batteries
       Lighter material for scooter (there must be lighter metals
available).
       More sensitive outfitters....this was insisted upon by my
insurance company....I am sure I could have gotten a slightly smaller,
lighter one and been just as happy.