Date:          Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:04:55 +0000
Subject:       v.i. and primary teaching
From:          "Chapman Val" <[log in to unmask]>
To:            [log in to unmask]

I would very much appreciate any advice from others who have
experience in this area.

The PGCE team have received an application from a student who is
partially sighted. He has very good references and appears eminently
suitable for teaching. The course leader is very eager to accept him
but has asked advice on a matter raised by the student himself.

Issue :The student would not be able to see the far end of the gym
for a PE lesson and therfeore could not guarantee the safety of the
children.
Question: Would the student be able to fulfil the TTA criteria for
teacher competencies across all subject areas?

Does anyone have any information on students who are blind/partially
sighted training for the primary sector - or who have subsequently
been employed?

Thanks in anticipation of your help - and Merry Christmas!

Best wishes,

Val Chapman
Equal Opportunities Coordinator
Worcester College of Higher Education