Please copy replies to [log in to unmask] because the School of
Architecture is not networked.

This relates to a student in the school of architecture who is
severely disabled by cerebral palsy. He is in a wheel chair, with
poor motor functions. He can walk very short distances with support,
but cannot write or draw by hand. He uses a desktop computer at home,
a laptop when out and about, and a desktop in the Dartford computer
lab. His speech is somewhat slurred, but his hearing and vision are
normal. He drives a car. Please can anyone in Disforum, offer advice
and/or suggestions concerning the following issues:

1) We would like contact with any other teachers or students in
architecture or design who are involved in similar disability in the
teaching environment.

2) Our student uses Dragon Dictate version 2 on his home desktop computer,
and his laptop. We are investigating whether there is any speech
recognition software which could cope with lecture conditions, where the
lecturer uses a lapel microphone. The amplifier output could go direct to
the sound card on the computer. It seems a tall order, but is there anyone
out there with any experience?

3) The standard mouse drivers used in our computer lab cannot cope with our
student's shaky hand, although his home computer and laptop are OK. Before
we start investing in better software, is there anyone who can point us in
the right direction? My intial thought is to go back to the Microsoft
release 9 drivers which allowed very good control of acceleration and
speed, but there may be something better. It would be useful if there were
a facility to load a configuration setting from a disc file when the
student starts a session.

Many thanks for your help.
Nick Pillans
School of Architecture and Landscape

Shirley Ambrose
Library and Information Services, Avery Hill, Mansion Site
University of Greenwich, London SE9 2PQ, UK
Telephone: +44 0181 331 9440
Fax:            +44 0181 331 9443
E Mail:      [log in to unmask]