Debbie Gibberd wrote:

> Colleagues,
> Registry are developing a New Students form, with an opportunity
> for me to make suggestions for improvements. I think that I may have raised
> this before with forum-members, but here we go again.  Your comments,
> please.
>
> How effective do you feel that the registration form used by your
> institution is in producing accurate information about the number of
> students with disabilities?
>
>  The form currently in use at City asks
> "Do you have a disability or learning difficulty?  Please tick one box.  If
> you do not tell us of a disability, we cannot make any special arrangements
> you may need (e.g. for examinations)"
> and then goes on to request that if students have a disability, they tick
> boxes to indicate the type of disability, (as they appear in the UCAS
> handbook)
>
> What does your registration form ask?
>
> Do you think that a form where the information about
> disability (and ethnicity) were physicaly detatched from the main record
> would encourage students to trust in the confidentiality of the excercise?
>
> Can we achieve a consensus regarding current good practice (given that
> marrying the needs of Registry to work with a very standardised form, and
> the wishes of this Disability Officer not to reduce people to tick-boxes is
> less than straightforward)
>
> Examples of what details other Universities request would be very useful to
> me.

Debbie

Here at Plymouth I believe our Registry rely on the information given
on the UCAS forms to produce figures covering the numbers of students
with disabilities we have.  Obviously this figure never never
coincides with ours which is always much higher.  This can cause us
problems when we are asked for statistics.

Just one issue which I recently heard raised by our Stats people: is
the gathering of statistics concerning disability now illegal in
relation to the DDA?  Our stats people are looking into this.

Alison Courtney

Alison Courtney
South West Regional Access Centre
Room 10, Babbage Building