 Has anyone any experience of the following:

We have a student who is being very disruptive in a particular lecturerUs class
- she is also very aggressive towards this lecturer and is threatening her with
the complaints procedure. At the same time, she is also proclaiming that she
has a mental illness and is about to have a nervous breakdown. Although she is
noisy and talkative in other lecturerUs classes, she is not aggressive towards
them. The Course Director, while being sympathetic to the lecturer is also
sympathetic to the student and refers to care in the community etc.

The lecturer, who has been physically threatened, has approached me to ask what
the policy is!! I cannot force the student to come and see me and I do not know
whether her statements are true and if she is on medication and receiving
treatment. She apparently has said that she was on medication which did not
agree with her.

The other students are now complaining about her behaviour in this lecturerUs
class - but not formally.

Where does facilitating students with mental illness stop and disiplinary
action start? We have recently had an incident where a student stabbed a
lecturer - police called, student dismissed etc.

Any ideas what to do next?

Margaret Morgan