On Mon 24 Feb, Allan Wilson wrote:
> >I recall some years ago a company launched an alternative keyboard
> >aimed at young children. I think it had a non qwerty layout and just a-z,
>
> Sounds like Big Keys,

I would think seriously before investing in a non QWERTY system.

I've seen Big Keys and I wouldn't give it house room because...

Although QWERTY has it's drawbacks (no help for learning the alphabet is
an obvious one) it is a *true* industry standard. This means that anyone
starting on another system will have to be unlearn in the long/medium
term.

For dyslexic children, unlearning may be even harder than the initial
difficult progress, for other children it is an additional chore that can,
and should, be avoided. (Anyone used to several computer packages knows
how difficult it is when they have different menu layouts/macros for the
same task.)

Regards

Ted

--
Ted Pottage.  Chairman, BDA (British Dyslexia Association) Computer Committee

          See our site -> http://www.bda-dyslexia.org.uk/
                       we're A1 at BETT'98 too.