Your title really caught my eye ! Perhaps as a hearing aid (occasional
as possible) user I can help.  Hearing Aids have microphones in various places
some at the top just poking cheekily behind the ear, some underneath the aid
some people have remote attachments so may wear theirs on their chest!
However one thing which all hearing aid microphones do as soon as you
cover them is feedback, or whistle- thereby rendering the aid useless
and the wearer red faced (if they can hear it - I can't -blissfully)
You can use an aid with an inductive coupler in something like a telephone
but again itakes some skill to ensure there is no feedback, from a personal
point, and I would stress that this is personal and may not apply to others,
I find that the nearer the sound is to my ear the more chance I have of hearing
clearly and am able to hear on a telephone or through 'cans' without my
hearing aid. I'm sorry I don't know what the answer is but my advice would
be to trial any suggestions with a friendly hearing aid user.
Hope this is helpful

Chris Baxter
The Nottingham Trent University