Hello Margaret,

Have you come across the GIMSON Stairmate?  It has two rubber
tank-tracks which form the base of a battery operated stair-climber
trolley - which will transport a wheelchair-user up and down stairs.
They require someone else to operate the stair-climber on behalf of
the wheelchair-user but do have the advantage of demounting into two
(quite heavy) sections that can be transported from separate sites
for use.  The battery needs periodic charging up and if I remember
rightly the cost is around stlg2,000 but that is several years ago from
when I worked in further education.

Alternatively, there is the Mobility 2000 wheelchair which has six
small wheels on each side and according to the brochure I have in
front of me will climb stairs.  The advantage of this is that the
wheelchair-user themselves remains in control.  I haven't seen one of
these in operation but the idea looks good.  Another advantage is
that it looks to be reasonably compact.  Further details: contact
Mobility 2000 (Telford) Ltd., on 01952/290180.  Alternatively fax on
01952/290752.

Hope this is helpful.

Dave Swindells, School of Education, University of Huddersfield